At Bikers Brew we like to share

Saturday, March 7, 2015

Bicycling and the sense of well being

I love cycling. I love bikes. It doesn't matter what bike brand, gear or whatever stuff you have, the feeling you get from cycling around town (it doesn't have to be hard core at all) just liberates you. I am still not sure why riding a bike makes me feel better but I am sure of cycling's effect on my overall sense of well being during and after my ride.  I don't think I am alone in achieving this feeling all because of a humble bicycle.

I guess it has something to do with the focus you need when you're on a bike. You can't afford to be distracted by anything else unless you are in the mood for some serious road rash or broken bones. The act of cycling forces you to focus. It may sound simple, but I am surely not alone in my belief that there are so many distractions out there. Sometimes you don't even realise you are distracted with all the various demands, things, ideas all vying for your attention at the same time.  Cycling forces you to forget all that and just focus on, you got it, cycling. You can hear your breathing, you can hear yourself think, you can feel your muscles pushing against the pedal to move the crank that moves the chain that moves the cog that turns the wheel. One pedal stroke, one revolution at a time. There is just something that is zen about it. You just feel connected.

Get on your bike and pedal away. You won't regret it.

Photo courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net artur84

2 comments: